As we find ourselves in a climate crisis that is now starting to have tangible effects on the world, every industry, including dentistry and orthodontics, needs to take a look at its policies and practices to ensure every effort is being made towards sustainability. At our office, we’ve implemented many measures to reduce our carbon footprint and be as eco-friendly as possible.
Here are just some of the ways Dr Kershman’s office is doing its part to be environmentally conscious:
- Plastics and paper are recycled.
- Bubble wrap and hard plastic jewel cases are collected and distributed to local artisans who make use of them.
- Zip lock bags are washed and distributed to artisans for reuse.
- When patients receive multiple boxes of aligners for their Invisalign, we provide reusable cloth shopping bags instead of plastic bags.
- Instead of using store-bought disinfectant wipes that contain plastic fibers, we make our own with 99% alcohol and compostable gauze.
As much as possible in a medical field like dentistry, we try to eliminate the need for single-use plastic and other synthetic materials. We participate in the city of Ottawa’s recycling programs and encourage the reuse of any products or materials that can be given a second life in the community.
Do you have any ideas on how we could further reduce our carbon footprint? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.